Weekly reflection 5

3D Printing: Uses, advantages, and disadvantages

Uses

Math manipulatives

Manipulatives are very useful tools for learning math as it helps students visualize quantities. Teaching on a whiteboard can be necessary for certain lessons, but in my experience, hands on learning can prove to be much more effective. Specific examples of manipulatives include base ten blocks, counters for algebra, and various shapes for simple mathematics. Image: Wikimedia Commons

Literacy tools

3D printed letters and words can be used by students from K-3. In kingergarten, letters would be used for learning the alphabet, through tracing, play, and guessing games. Grade one would use them for spelling, and then grades two and three could use entire words for forming sentences. This tool would likely be less useful in the later grades as students have a stronger literacy skills, but it is a great option for younger students. Image: Wikimedia Commons

Creative projects

One of the most fun aspects of 3D printing is being able to come up with an idea, design it online, and then be able to hold it in your hand and take home. This would be a suitable project for grades 4-8, as younger grades would likely have challenges with the technological side of designing the item.

Fidgets

Something that can really help students focus during class is a fidget toy. 3D printing is an option to create these! In my experience sitting in the Scholarship Learning Commons during Tech class, I found the 3D printed toys sitting on the desks to really help me focus, specifically the pink octopus.

My 3D printing project

I decided to create a fortune-telling die, inspired by when I used to write on an eraser and flip it around in elementary school. I found this process to be surprisingly frustrating and stressful, as I was under the impression that I had more time than I really did. That being said, I feel as though I did learn a lot about the 3D printing design process and I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Challenges

• Fidgets can be distracting
  • Limited access to technology
  • Can be confusing and involved
  • The materials are expensive
  • Environmental impacts from creating so many plastic objects

Spaghetti tower reflection

In addition to a reflection on the spaghetti tower challenge, where we had to construct the tallest freestanding structure with a marshmallow on top. I found this exercise to be challenging, but valuable, as it improves communication and problem solving skills, leadership, and boosts creativity among students. These “soft skills” are highly important for students to develop at an early age, so this project would be great for kindergarten to university.