3. Starting to research!

This week, I decided to do some research by going on YouTube and watching videos about sign language in the classroom and the importance. Watching these videos not only taught me more signs, but also reminded me of the importance of learning sign language in the first place.

“How to Use ASL In The Classroom” by Learn How to Sign

The main point in the video is that ASL allows for quick communication. If a student needs to go to the washroom or to get some water, they can make the sign instead of raising their hand and interrupting the class. The teacher is able to respond “yes” by nodding their fist, and it allows them to keep teaching.

• Pay attention to me (horse blinders)
  • Focus on your work (same but towards page)
  • Come here (opposite of go to)
  • Nurse (flat N on wrist)
  • Office (make the shape of a room with O hands)
  • Book (hands together and then open a book)
  • Draw (pinkie is a pencil drawing on a piece of paper, your hand)
  • Lunch (L hand at chin)
  • Clean (flat hands dust off)
  • Quiet (flat hands going outwards)
  • Finish/done (flick hands around)

I did notice that there were several signs that I already knew in this video, such as help, water, bathroom, and go to. This repetition helps me remember all the signs, since sometimes it can be overwhelming to learn so many at one time.

Why Students Should Learn American Sign Language by Breese Tierney (TEDX)

In this video, Breese was explaining how she had taken up learning sign language as a new hobby. While she found that there are lots of resources, she was realizing that it would be difficult to actually hold a conversation with someone whose main method of communication was ASL. Also, something that I have been worried about too is that she mentioned that it’s easy to forget signs when you keep on learning more. Even when she felt frustrated, she realized that it was an important skill to learn to include those who are hearing impaired, so she continued to learn.

Making Education Accessible to Deaf Children by Nile DiMarco (TEDX)

Nile DiMarco explains how he can use his experience growing up deaf as an advantage. He says that as a deaf person, changing his mindset makes all the difference. He says that “growing up, my life was perfect.” This is because he grew up in a deaf family, so they created an environment that would lead him to success because they too were deaf. After going to the school with other deaf children, he decided that he wanted the experience of public school with everyone else hearing. It was very challenging and was met with resistance of teachers not believing in him, and peers not fully able to communicate with him. After earning his degree, he decided to get out of his comfort zone and travel. Through this experience, he realized how education for deaf children is seriously lacking around the world, something that came as a surprise. What I was shocked to learn is that there are signs of brain damage for children who don’t grow up learning sign language and having support growing up.